Friday, September 15, 2006

Multiblogurality

From a post by Pam at the Blend,

Quite frankly, bloggers of color aren't always on the radar of the well-known bloggers either. Linking is powerful, and if it's concentrated among an inner circle of folks who all look the same, with few exceptions, it's going to be tough sledding to get in the mix.


From this ofay, Y level blogger, this rings true. I've been an outsider for ages. Being the kind of guy who didn't care for team sports (I can throw a mean spiral, and have saved a couple of ball games with good catches, but am too lazy to put any serious time in practicing) and had poor luck with girls, I was tagged as a fag. Ya have to love rural Ky. I grew up hating gay people until I met a few and realised that they weren't the hellbound monsters that they had been painted as. Just people.

Racism wasn't a big problem for me, even with some pretty racist people in my family, I had some pretty good role models in my very unracist mother and brother. Unlike most white guys in my town, my mother made way for me to be accepted in the black community, at least as a welcome outsider. I don't pretend to be completely non-racist. Nobody is. But I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd.

My current blogroll ended up decently diverse, and not really by design. I like learning about people different from myself that share the goals of equal rights along with other liberal causes.

Although there are some Hispanic/Latin(o/a) bloggers in the list (mostly in group blogs), I lost a good one when Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez (La Queen Sucia) left Blogger for a private myspace account, and it looks like a squatter has moved in. I was going to keep her on the list, hoping that she would keep her old site open as a mirror, but it didn't fit in with her plans. I don't want to give some squatter running a crappy search engine any traffic, so I had to delist her.

If anyone can suggest a replacement with a tenth of her writing ability, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

by Robster @ 9/15/2006 09:07:00 PM PERMALink
|