Saturday, June 18, 2005

Something I have, something I want

I just got the headblade. I usually have so much trouble shaving my head that I just get my wife to do it, and it takes a long time, too. This changes everything. Now, keeping a smooth look is gonna be very easy for me. And the shaving cream that they make, whoa. I may juat be switching brands entirely.

On to something I want.

The env motorcycle. I live about 4 miles from work. Too far to walk (and with too many pedestrian unfriendly roads). No safe bike trails, which also means no inline skating. I could get a Vespa, but just can't convince myself that I would want to ride it around town. I don't like filling my Buick Regal up every 10 days with $2 a gallon gas (and rising) for high wear and tear city driving.

Enter the env.
env is lightweight, streamlined and aerodynamic. It boasts a performance that outreaches any existing electrical bike. In an urban or off-road environment, it can reach speeds of 50 mph.

It is also virtually silent (with noise equivalent to an everyday home computer) and its emissions are almost completely clean.

On a full tank, the env bike could be used continually for up to four hours without any need for re-fuelling. The bike can also be used by riders of any skill level with simple controls, via a throttle directly linked to the applied power. The bike has no gears and is strictly defined as a motorbike, although it feels to riders more like a very quick and responsive mountain bike. ‘env is light, fast and fun’, commented Seymourpowell director Nick Talbot. ‘It has good ground clearance, great off-road suspension travel and a very carefully considered power to weight ratio. I have ridden motorbikes for years’, he added, ‘ and, in the process of designing the bike, I have become a convert to fuel cell technology. The bike is usable, useful and great-looking. It was important on this project to demonstrate that new technologies don’t have to be wrapped up in a dull product – engaging public imagination and enthusiasm is key.’
A silent, no gears, hydrogen powered bike? It doesn't have great acceleration or speed stats, but for in city use, where roads don't get above 45 anyway, I could go for it. And it is just a prototype anyway. The production model should be better. Some people are freaked out that a silent motorbike will end up making pedestrians squishier than before. They actually want the bike to have a noisemaker built in so that it lets people know you are coming. Sort of like the horseless wagon rules at the turn of the century.

The cost? handmade prototype, 15k. The production line should be in the range of 5k or less. Of course, you would need a hydrogen fuel supply, but Intelligent Energy will probably also sell an H2 generator. Pour in a few gallons of water, hook up to the household current, come back later, fill up the tank.

My wife even said I could get one if she could have one too. But hers has to be pink. I'm sure I can find someone to do a nice powdercoat on hers. Hell, I'll even pitch in the gold leaf.

If only it wasn't a crotch rocket. Probably has to do with frame weight. I can put up with that though.

by Robster @ 6/18/2005 11:22:00 AM PERMALink
|