Monday, May 09, 2005

Gay sperm ban

This has been floating about the blogs (AmericaBlog and Pandagon) for a few days, but I really don't know how I feel about it. I used to sell plasma in College to pay for my music needs, and the screening questions included one about having had sex with men. At the time, HIV testing was much more expensive and time consuming than it is now. Beyond the HIV question, there are lots of other diseases that can be spread via bodily fluids.

Honesty alert! Would I be concerned if a female family member was dating a bisexual man? Yes. Would I be as concerned if she was dating a straight man? Probably not. Quite simply, I am not familiar with the current trends in HIV exposure, and even as a scientist, I don't know if gay and bisexual men are currently considered to be at as high of a risk for HIV exposure as straight men. I do not ascribe any malicious intent to the new guidelines. Old trends and knowledge (perhaps outdated) probably have more to do with these guidelines than does the anti-gay attitude of the Bush administration.

In the end, I don't know enough about this issue to weigh in solidly on one side or another.

by Robster @ 5/09/2005 04:43:00 PM PERMALink
|